Poultry profile: Sebright



Sebright
Breed type: Bantam only
Colours: Gold laced with black, silver laced with black
Mature weight: 500-700g
Temperament: Confident, sometimes aggressive 
Egg production: <100 eggs per year

The Sebright is named for a British landowner of the 1800s, Sir John Sebright. While it originally thought the bird was named after him because he developed it on his own, it’s now believed the bird was actually developed in conjunction with several other breeders in his area.

They wanted the beautiful plumage of the Laced Polish Fowl on a small bird and Sir John created a club that worked towards this. He was then honoured by the club, who named the bird after him.

It was a big effort though. It took around 30 years of intensive breeding to come up with the bird we know today by cross-breeding Laced Polish Fowl and bantams to create the small but perfectly formed Gold and Silver Sebrights, although silver Sebrights actually look white.


The feathers on each bird are lined with black, off-setting the plumage colour to dynamic effect.

Despite it now being a breed all on its own, it is considered a true bantam. Males and females are also feathered the same, and experts say this, combined with its amazing colourings, makes the Sebright one of the most amazing birds to ever be developed by man.

1 comment:

  1. I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Mr Benjamin on this topic. gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Mr Benjamin so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.247officedept@gmail.com   WhatsApp    Contact:   +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete